We all worship a god. By “god” I mean the things to which we give our lives as we search for hope, meaning, and peace. It’s another way to talk about the things we have leaned on for support, the things that we expect to hold us up. The Bible is full of stories which involve gods with statues; the modern gods do not necessarily have statues, but the gods are still there nonetheless. Using stories from the Bible, history, and pop culture, I want to look at what happens when the gods die.
Story #1: Elisha and the prophets of Baal (1 Kings 18: 25-29)
Sometimes, when the gods die, people give in to self-destruction. They were so sure that the god they had chosen would hear and respond, they assumed the problem must be their own, not that the god cannot do what they asked. In this case, they hurt themselves to show their sincerity.Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon. “Baal, answer us!” they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the altar they had made.27 At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 28 So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed. 29 Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention.
This doesn’t always feel like destruction or desperation even though it is. This happens when:
• people know that their lifestyle is eating away at them, but they assume it’s because they just haven’t learned how to really indulge correctly, so they just kick it up a notch. They are empty, but they continue to pursue the next high, the next binge, the next big shopping spree.
• people know they should stop viewing porn because it is damaging their mind, attitudes and relationships, but they have to believe that if they just use it right it will all be fine. But the gods of lust cannot bring them fulfillment, so they continue to spiral downward as they seek greater and more disturbing thrills.
Or this update from a mission outreach on a beach during Spring Break:“The question is: how much longer can Amy Winehouse go on like this before she kills herself? And how can the people around her allow such a public car crash to happen...? Winehouse is the architect of her own misery. However, the sight of her flailing around self-destructively while the world looks on, munching crisps, is wretched.”
Yesterday was the beginning of the period of the trip when the spring breakers begin to get frustrated and disillusioned with what has been going on. There have been several rapes. There have been at least 3 deaths. People are roasted and cooked from the sun and are recovering from hangovers or drug highs. The disappointment starts to set in because these things, appealing as they are, leave us empty and do not satisfy. – Austin GravelyStory #2: The Ark in the Temple of Dagon (1 Samuel 5)
Sometimes, when the gods die, people give in to denial. In this case, even though it was obvious that the Philistine god was being owned by the Israelite God, it did not bring about a change. The worshippers just avoided the implications.After the Philistines had captured the ark of God…they carried the ark into Dagon’s temple and set it beside Dagon. When the people of Ashdod rose early the next day, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the LORD! They took Dagon and put him back in his place. But the following morning when they rose, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the LORD! His head and hands had been broken off and were lying on the threshold; only his body remained. That is why to this day neither the priests of Dagon nor any others who enter Dagon’s temple at Ashdod step on the threshold.When the people of Ashdod saw what was happening, they said, “The ark of the god of Israel must not stay here with us, because his hand is heavy on us and on Dagon our god…” So they moved the ark of the God of Israel.
In the same way, people can become so attached to a false god that no matter how much evidence is compiled that the things they are hoping will make their lives count are failing them they continue on, blinders up, memories scrubbed, stumbling forward hoping that doing the same things for the same reason will not fail them yet again. This happens when:
In the Bible, a world without gods was unheard of. The rise of atheism as a serious philosophical option is relatively recent in world history, but it didn’t take long to get an idea of what happened when God died.• People keep trying get-rich-quick schemes time after time, losing money every time, but are still convinced that’s the secret to success –so they try yet another one, in spite of the fact that is has never worked, and they are doing nothing different.• People want to believe a free, open sex life is the way to happiness. That ignores all the studies and real-world examples that show how we can undermine our own best intentions: we think we are solving depression, anxiety, and loneliness when we are actually contributing to them.
Story #3: The Parable of the Madman (this is only an excerpt)
Have you not heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market place, and cried incessantly: "I seek God! I seek God!"The madman jumped into their midst and pierced them with his eyes. "Whither is God?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him---you and I. All of us are his murderers. But how did we do this? How could we drink up the sea? Are we not straying, as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is not night continually closing in on us? Do we not need to light lanterns in the morning? Do we hear nothing as yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we smell nothing as yet of the divine decomposition? Gods, too, decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him."How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
• Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: "If I were asked today to formulate as concisely as possible the main cause of the ruinous revolution that swallowed up some 60 million of our people, I could not put it more accurately than to repeat: 'Men have forgotten God; that's why all this has happened."
• On the wall next to the gas ovens of Auschwitz, are the words of Adolph Hitler, “I freed Germany from the stupid and degrading fallacies of conscience and morality … we will train young people before whom the world will tremble. Young people capable of violence – imperious, relentless and cruel.” Adolf Hitler
Do you worship other gods?_________________________________________________________
These are the gods of America, and if you follow them, if you put your weight on them, they will always let you down. Without Christ, you will find yourself responding it the three ways we have looked at.
- People and Relationships?
- Money and Financial Success?
- Popularity and Fame?
- Sex and Love?
- Adrenaline and Excitement?
- Your Physical Appearance and Health?
- Your Brain and Intelligence?
- Your Spouse and/ or your Kids?
- Politics and Government?
- Do you find that you are counting on something to make you feel better, or be better, or just give your life some sense of meaning…and it’s not happening, so you are trying harder and harder and harder like the prophets of Baal?
- Do you move into or continue in destructive relationships because you are convinced that if you just try more diligently the god of sex will give you meaning and peace and love?
- Do you move into increasingly destructive addictions because that high, that pleasure, that escape, MUST make your life work if you just keep trying more and more?
- Do you sacrifice your families on the altars of the gods of work because that next raise will make things right?
- Do you control your spouse, and whenever they are not just like you want them to be you force them to comply because if you can get them just where you want them everything will be okay? Do you control your kids, micromanaging their lives because any deviation from your plan is a personal insult to you and an embarrassment to your family name?